Mission San Francisco Solano, the twenty-first, and last, mission of the El Camino Real chain. Founded on July 4th of 1825 by father Jose Altimira, it was named for St. Francis Solano, missionary to Peruvian Indians. The mission was originally conceived by Altimira to replace San Francisco de Asis and San Rafael and relocate them to this area, but the plan was discarded by Father-President Senan. In the end, a compromise was reached; the Solano mission would be built and Fr. Altimira would be in charge of it, but San Francisco de Asis and San Rafael were not to be disturbed.
Mission San Rafael Arcangel was the twentieth mission in the El Camino Real chain. It was founded on December 14th, 1817 by Father Vicente de Sarria as a hospital asistencia for Missoin Dolores (San Francisco de Asis), but given full mission status in 1823. Built during the unsettled years of turnover of from Spanish to Mexican authority, little thought was given to it's design. It never achieved a quadrangle and it never acquired a bell tower. Today, the city of San Raphael has grown around the remains of the old mission, and the St. Raphael church looms over the old chapel.